Spidroin Genetics 101: Size

 I have always thought that typical spidroin or spider silk protein has size approximately about 12 kb. Well, it is big enough for me frankly saying..To get the 10kb gene size is already a hell for me in the lab. But, after I listened to a recorded talk by Dr Sarah Stellwagen on her remarkable discovery of aggregate spidroin from Argiope aurantia spider in which she obtained the size of the spidroin about 48 Kb (including the intron), my understanding about spidroin size has fully changed 100%!. Now I know the molecule I have been dealing for the past 5 years is a HULK!

                                     This is the spidroin size that I excerpted from Dr Sarah's talk...

You can enjoy the talk by Dr. Sarah below in the video.


 

 


 

Comments

Popular Posts