Big size and Small size; the Micropholcus~~~

 Today, I want to introduce to you the other species of Pholcid that I have come across before but did not work on it. The spider is relatively 3x smaller than C. lyoni but share similar behavior for example, fragile irregular web, egg mass carried at the mouth and morphologically almost the same except for the SIZE. This led my curiosity to search for the genus of the species at least. So, I began digging up past studies on small pholcids. Well, at least I got something to fill up my time while waiting for the transcriptomic result ready and apart from writing. Finally, I found a recent paper, quite simple and general taxonomic key to pholcid spiders. So, based on that key, I finally deduce that the small pholcid that was found belongs to Micropholcus genus. For the species name, I have no idea, but perhaps I will try to do the DNA barcoding on the spider or else, sending it to the expert. The spider is so abundant at my house and unlike C. lyoni, the web is somehow less dense. 

                        The Micropholcus spider has a unique leg pattern formation during resting


Comments

Popular Posts