Regenerative Power of Lyoni Spider

 Morning guys,

It is a cold morning today as it has been raining since dawn. Not much I want to share about the gene edited spiderlings from this project because I am still working with the thesis and let it get published first. But one thing I do want to tell is about the limb regeneration ability exhibited by Lyoni spidey. As you may know that some spiders have the ability to regenerate limb of the legs if they got into trouble with accidents such as escaping from predators. I have observed this to happen with my own eyes in my tarantula collection. And so I was curious to know if Lyoni spideys could also display the same ability. So, during the on-going gene editing experiment, I took the chance to test this by amputating the tarsus segment of the 2nd instar spidey's leg using a scissor. I thought it was going to die as it started to become so weak but it did regain consciousness and survived. So, I continued to feed it until the moment it was going to shed its old skin. After the molting process, to my surprise the limb grew back but not to its original length. Yet, it still grew! So I kept feeding it over and over until it finally matured with the leg turned back to its normal size (just sightly shorter I guess). This showed that Lyoni spidey has the limb regeneration power! You may see them in the images attached. Perhaps one day, I will divert the research into its limb regenerative power, who knows? But at the moment, I will still stick to Lyoni's spidroinology research!..That's all folks, till we meet again~~~


Image

Comments

Popular Posts