Development of Radioactive Mutant Spider

 Hey guys,

I have been planning to extend the 1st objective of my PhD study that is to create as many mutant strain of Lyoni spider for future genetic modification. For this, I am planning to use the gamma irradiation method to induce artificial mutation on the spider. My target is to obtain a mutant line with shorter legs which really suit for the future silk genetic modification. The idea came to me after I attended a short course on nuclear technology application on biology at Nuclear Agency in Bangi 7 years ago. I was intrigued to apply gamma irradiation approach to establish mutant lines of Lyoni spider. This  was inspired by the orchid breeding program using gamma irradiation by the researchers at the agency and several local universities. After I went through the previous studies, there were lots have been done on irradiation on insects to obtain desired mutant individuals. I hope this approach can help me to develop some mutant line of Lyoni for my future project. Crossing fingers to this~~

                                                My project idea back then in 2016~~~


Comments

Popular Posts