Whole Genome Sequencing of C. lyoni~~

Hey folks,

My focus right now is to obtain a full-length sequence of ampullate silk gene from Lyoni prenymph. At the moment, I have obtained a partial fragment of the N-terminal region of ampullate silk gene, plus a little bit of the repetitive region at the 3' end. I thought that this fragment would be ample to design a DNA donor using dsDNA or ssDNA to perform knockin of GFP gene. However, from my reading, I was wrong because in order to use them, I require about ~300 bp homology arms to do so and the fragment I have is only 400 bp long. So, the problem is that, the length is not enough. Hence, I corresponded to Dr. Sarah, one of the expert in nanopore sequencing of spider silk gene about this last week. She informed me that she had never done a single specific gene sequencing using nanopore instead, what she could suggest was to do the whole genome sequencing. And this troubled me because I have and will be difficult for me to get funding on this matter, looking at the situation I am working right now. So now, I am trying to hard to get sponsored for this and even have nominated the species for WGS at few NGOs but still no response was received. I need to do this really hard!


                                            Nanopore sequencing (courtesy from : https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/articles/analysis/spotlight/oxford-nanopore-disruptive-unicorn-gunning-illumina)

Comments

Popular Posts