Transcriptomic Analysis of Spidroin (Spider Silk Protein)

 Spidroin is always a troublesome for me these days. But at the same time, it intrigues me a lot due to the fact that I have been researching it for the past 5 years. This is because spidroin makes up 90% of the total protein of spider web. For molecular study part, I started to dwell into it since last year in elucidating the full-length of the sequence. At the moment, I am encountering a big issue in characterizing the sequence. I am using the LD-PCR approach to amplify the spidroin gene as it is a big protein about 250 to 650 kDa. So, you can imagine how many nucleotides I need to go through in order to get the full- sequence. The problem to sequence spidroin is the presence of the repetitive region that constitutes the largest portion of the spidroin gene itself, about 7000-8000 bp. And this region is highly repetitive! Thus, I am thinking of resorting to transcriptomic analysis of spidroin as an alternative? I need to get the quotation before proceed as you know, NGS is not that cheap..fuh...

 

  

                                          This what I am feeling right now..arghghghgggg..



Amino acid structure of a spidroin (source WIKIPEDIA)


Comments

Popular Posts